Discovering the Many Benefits of Ductless Mini-Splits
Air conditioning has come a long way since its inception over one hundred years ago. What was once a luxury of lavish living is now part of the modern American lifestyle for millions of families all around the country, as the majority of homes contain an air conditioning system. As the technology of air conditioning has improved over time, so the options for air conditioning systems have increased. In a previous blog post, Stellar Services discussed all of the various kinds of air conditioners, highlighting the qualities of each. Some types of air conditioners are well known and maintain traditional placement in our homes, such as central air conditioners and window air conditioners. However, others need a little more light shed on their benefits, and one such type of air conditioner that is still somewhat new to our society but increasing in popularity is ductless mini-splits.
Ductless mini-splits have a distinct method of operation and offer unique benefits to home and business owners, but will the pros of mini-splits push them to the forefront of the air conditioning industry and position them as the most widely-used kind of air conditioner in the not-too-distant future? Stellar Services of course cannot claim to know the future, but we do know all about mini-split systems and the situations in which they are most advantageous, so we would like to detail those advantages before stating our stance on whether or not mini-splits are the future of air conditioning.
What are Ductless Mini-Splits?
As a general reminder, we would like to review what exactly ductless mini-splits are. Ductless mini-splits are air conditioning systems that consist of two parts: an outdoor unit and an indoor unit. The outdoor unit is the larger of the two and contains the condenser, compressor, and expansion valve. It is usually are located directly outside of the room housing the indoor unit. The indoor unit holds the evaporator and the cooling fans and can be placed in a number of different locations around the room: on the ceiling, the wall, or the floor, depending on the type of unit purchased. These two units are connected by copper tubing and electrical wire that runs through a three-inch hole in the wall.
What are the Benefits of Ductless Mini-Splits?
Ductless mini-split systems definitely supply a number of benefits to homeowners. The benefits of mini-split systems include:
- Increased energy efficiency: Ductless mini-splits empower homeowners to reduce waste and lower their utility bills by supplying more direct heating and cooling to the preferred spaces. Instead of forcing air to travel along extensive trails of ductwork and losing up to 25% of the energy produced as is the case with conventional systems, ductless mini-splits transport energy through insulated lines and are thereby able to conserve 95% of the energy they generate. Furthermore, ductless mini-splits use inverter technology to continuously adjust their speed to the heating and cooling needs of the home.
- Quiet operation: Mini-splits keep the noise level down in order to keep the tranquility of your home up. Ductless mini-splits are one of the quietest cooling systems available.
- Constant comfort: Ductless mini-splits can be used all year, providing customized cooling in the summer and ample heat in the winter.
- Ease of use: Simple settings and a universal remote control make operating ductless mini-splits a breeze. This type of air conditioner avoids the confusion and expense of operating complex zoning systems and allows homeowners to heat or cool only the areas of their choosing.
- More control: The targeted zoning of mini-splits is made possible by the presence of a separate thermostat on each floor that lets you reach your desired comfort level and never demands that you to condition the air in spaces you are not using. In larger homes, different rooms can receive their own indoor units, all of which are still powered by a single compressor.
- Self-contained products: Mini-splits are packaged products that include the control system within the unit and therefore minimize the chances of problems resulting from improper installations, poor design, poor location, or duct leaks. Other potential issues ductless mini-splits evade include incorrect refrigerant charge and too much or too little airflow over the cooling coil.
- Easy and non-invasive installation: As ductless mini-splits are prepackaged systems, their installation is a much less complicated process than that of some other types of air conditioners, and typically, this process can be completed in one day by a professional. In order to complete the system, only one three-inch hole needs to be cut into one wall, as opposed to cutting multiple holes in walls, floors, and ceilings or sacrificing closet space to account for ducts. If a mini-split system with ducts is required, a compact amount of ductwork is usually placed above the ceiling.
- Better aesthetics: With less pieces to accommodate, ductless mini-splits do not invade the home to the extent that a central air conditioning system does, and mini-splits therefore leave a more aesthetically pleasing fingerprint on the home. The outdoor unit is thin, and the indoor unit can be mounted in a variety of ways in order to achieve the most concealed or convenient positioning.
Are Ductless Mini-Splits the Future of A/C?
While ductless mini-splits certainly boast many benefits to homeowners, they still may not be right for every homeowner. Due to the fact that ductless mini-splits often allow for easier installation and involve less complexity of parts, they are more likely to sidestep the struggles that the commissioning process addresses in forced-air systems. However, no matter what kind of air conditioning system you have, if it is properly installed, supplied the right amount of power, and placed in the appropriately sized setting, your air conditioner will serve you well by meeting your heating and cooling needs in the manner in which it was designed to do so.
Ductless mini-splits actually do have particular instances in which they work best: if a regular system would look bad or would not fit well into your location, ductless mini-splits may be the solution. As well, the most common successful applications for ductless mini-splits are in single room additions and light commercial applications with no existing ductwork. Therefore, if your space does not meet these specifications, installing a newer, more energy efficient air conditioning unit into your system may be the wisest choice, as advancements in technology have really improved the performance of these units in recent years. While ductless mini-splits may become more popular across the country in days to come, whether or not ductless mini-splits are the future of air conditioning remains to be seen.
Ductless Mini-Splits from Stellar Services
In order to meet the heating and cooling needs of Florida residences in and around Gainesville, Stellar Services supplies a variety of different air conditioning systems, and we are committed to helping you discover the perfect system for your home, whether or not that system is a ductless mini-split system. With our years of knowledge and experience, Stellar Services can conduct a professional assessment of your living situation and recommend the air conditioning options that we believe would be right for you. To learn more about ductless mini-splits and the other systems that Stellar Services has to offer, contact us today!