Air duct cleaning is an essential part of regular HVAC maintenance and helps your system run more efficiently. Duct cleaning can also help improve the overall air quality in your home by removing a dust and other irritants from the air you breathe.
But, how do you know when your air ducts need to be cleaned? And how often should you schedule duct cleaning? As your local Gainesville, FL HVAC professional, we have some tips on what you should look for when deciding to get your air ducts cleaned.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
Duct cleaning is the process of cleaning the various pieces of a standard HVAC unit, including the duct system, fans, grills, motors, and the air handling unit. According to the NADCA, the air in your home is re-circulated 5-7 times a day. Over time, these components become dusty from cycling the same air consistently. Other indoor factors can contribute to dirty ducts, such as smoking, cooking, and cleaning.
To effectively clean ducts, an HVAC professional will usually take apart components of your HVAC system and simultaneously dust and vacuum them. A qualified HVAC professional will take great care in ensuring the dust that is removed is done so without being released back into the air. The vacuum will exhaust the dirty air outside your home, removing the dust completely from the ducts.
5 Signs You Need to Schedule a Duct Cleaning
Duct cleaning isn’t required as frequently as standard HVAC maintenance. However, the NADCA recommends getting your ducts cleaned every 2-5 years. Dirty ducts don’t necessarily mean that you have unhealthy air in your home, but they can certainly irritate those who are sensitive to air pollution and allergens.
Here are some signs that it may be time to schedule a professional duct cleaning:
- Possibility of Mold – Check around the system grills and inside the unit and look for black debris. Wipe it down with a warm, wet cloth. If it comes out filthy, with a lot of black residue, it may indicate the presence of mold.
Allergies – Does someone in your home suffer from severe allergies or other respiratory problems? If so, it may be worth considering getting your air ducts cleaned.
- Vermin Infestation – If you have recently experienced a vermin infestation, then it would be wise to get a duct cleaning. Rodents and insects can nest in ductwork and cause the air in your home to smell.
- Energy Savings – If you have noticed your energy bills steadily increasing but you aren’t sure why then it may be worth considering a duct cleaning. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, 25 to 40 percent of the energy used for heating or cooling a home is wasted. Duct cleaning can help keep your system running at maximum efficiency and save you money on your energy bills.
- New Home – Many people choose to have their air ducts cleaned when they move into a new home. A new home has contaminants in the ducts left over from previous owners. If you have recently moved, it might be a good idea to have your ducts cleaned.
- Dirty Vents – Your air vents are an indicator of dirty ducts. If you see that they are covered in a significant amount of dust, you need a duct cleaning.
Consult a Professional for Duct Cleaning
If you are still unsure if you need your air ducts cleaned, then you should consult your local HVAC professional. If you are in the Gainesville, FL area, please give us a call to discuss your air duct cleaning needs and options.